Return to Newsletter Index
DGX - Dependable Global Express
Dear Valued Customer,
The following is provided for your information:
The Offices listed below will be closed for the holiday as follows:
Health Sports Day
Ceremony Of Enthronement
Queen’s Birthday (Brisbane)
Labour Day (Sydney, Adelaide, Canberra)
Chung Yeung Festival
Please remember that certain offices are across the International Dateline. The dates above are their dates, not the actual U.S. date.
U.S. Japan Trade Agreement
The United States and Japan have reached agreement on early “achievements” from negotiations in the areas of market access for certain agriculture and industrial goods, as well as on digital trade. The United States continues negotiations with Japan for a comprehensive agreement that addresses remaining tariff and non-tariff barriers.
- The U.S. and Japan have reached an agreement in which Japan will eliminate or lower tariffs for certain U.S. agricultural products. For other agricultural goods, Japan will provide preferential U.S.-specific quotas.
- Once this agreement is implemented, over 90 percent of U.S. food and agricultural products imported into Japan will either be duty free or receive preferential tariff access. For example, under the agreement, Japan will:
- Reduce tariffs on products such as fresh and frozen beef and pork.
- Provide a country-specific quota for wheat and wheat products.
- Reduce the mark-up on imported U.S. wheat and barley.
- Immediately eliminate tariffs for almonds, walnuts, blueberries, cranberries, sweet corn, grain sorghum, broccoli, and more.
- Provide staged tariff elimination for products such as cheeses, processed pork, poultry, beef offal, ethanol, wine, frozen potatoes, oranges, fresh cherries, egg products, and tomato paste.
- This agreement provides for the limited use of safeguards by Japan for surges in imports of beef, pork, whey, oranges, and race horses, which will be phased out over time.
- The U.S. will provide tariff elimination or reduction on 42 tariff lines for agricultural imports from Japan valued at $40 million in 2018, including products such as certain perennial plants and cut flowers, persimmons, green tea, chewing gum, and soy sauce.
- The U.S. will also reduce or eliminate tariffs on certain industrial goods from Japan such as certain machine tools, fasteners, steam turbines, bicycles, bicycle parts, and musical instruments.
Source: USTR Fact Sheet
Should you have any questions, please contact your local DGX office or representative, or call us
at 888-488-4888 or at 310-669-8888.
Thank you for your business – we appreciate it!